The Dharma Bum

I used to keep a journal. Meditate three hours a day. Climb on my days off. I'm the same guy. Just older and more in debt.

Friday, November 04, 2005

The Snow Is Gone

One week ago the snow up high made running Black Mountain damn near impossible. If not for the tracks of a coyote it would've been tough to keep on the trail. Obscured by a foot of snow, trees weighted down by the thick snow bending to the ground, I could imagine someone unprepared dying up there.

Today, Will and I ran up Black Cap, but under much more forgiveable conditions. The snow was melted away. Leaveless trees opened the vista to surrounding peaks. The warm, calm temperatures betrayed the gray looks-like-snow sky. We talked the whole way up, giving fair warning to any animals that might be browsing in the woods or fields. Fresh moose pellets signaled the presence of wildlife...but the incessant talk of humans triggers an understandable run mechanism.

That's why my solo runs are so gratifying...gliding stealthily through the woods and trails keeps open the possibility of sneaking up on an animal. I almost ran into the rear of a bull moose a couple months back. He was grazing on some shrubs, I cruised out around a corner from the woods, and BOOM! We both froze for a second, surprised. Believe it or not, he ran first! I considered turning around, afraid I might encounter him on the way down. But, I'd only completed half my run. Besides, the chances of him actually running me down goring me were too slim to lose a workout.

Well, the plumber should be at my house in a few minutes. Every sink, faucet, tub, toilet in the joint needs a tweak or a fix. Getting a plumber around here is almost impossible. Better not let this one get away. I tell my wife if things get financially desperate I could always become a plumber. Kids, take note: there is a shortage of plumbers. To hell with plastics!

Later-hosen. Have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home