The Dharma Bum

I used to keep a journal. Meditate three hours a day. Climb on my days off. I'm the same guy. Just older and more in debt.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I Could Bite You

















Bud and Bodhi
They COULD bite, but wouldn't!



Life is nuts sometimes. Thing is, the person you're supposed to be most connected to on this planet isn't always available. Things get busy. Life = 2 boys, 3 dogs, 1 big house, 1 vacation rental apartment, self employment, master's program, internship, swimming and climbing lessons for the kids. I don't need to go on. And, I'm not complaining, either. I love it all, the whole crazy nuthouse.

In the process of making our way from the beginning of the day to the end of the day my wife and I barely have time, or the inclination, to connect. That's why last night was so fine. That's why I feel no regret for this hangover.

Last night my wife and I celebrated her birthday. We stayed up way too late and drank way too much. The boys were in bed at about 8, after watching back-to-back Simpsons. (I know, I know, not a good show for kids. Whatever!) We put a few CD's in the stereo, starting with Ballads by John Coultrane, then onto some other jazz CD's. We don't do jazz often enough. It was just perfect, a nice and mellow way to start things out. Great conversation. Quiet house. Good vibes. Puppies rumbling at our feet.

A few hours later we'd drained a six pack, a Foster's Lager oil can, a stray Sam Adams Ale, polished a bottle of red and had poured Scotch into the shot glasses we bought at Luray Caverns this summer. We also learned firsthand just how loud that stereo actually goes. The Stones Let It Bleed. Neil Young Tonight's The Night. Yah! CD's were everywhere, as we basically DJ'd the evening's selections. My wife is one hell of a dancer. She was very polite not to laugh too loud when I started to show my moves. White man's overbite, as Billy Crystal calls it, fists pulled up to the chest, little bounces back and forth.

The night ended far too soon. We're happy to pay for it today. We shared great conversation, had some laughs, shed some tears, listened to fine, fine music, celebrated the birth of my soul mate. Together. Connected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home